New York State Education Law § 5002 provides:
No person shall be employed by a private career school as a director or teacher who is not licensed in such capacity by the department pursuant to regulations of the commissioner, which shall take into consideration such factors as moral character, educational qualifications and practical experience.
8 NYCRR § 126.6 further provides:
Directors' licenses shall be valid only for the school for which they are issued. No individual may be employed as a director at more than one school without the approval of the commissioner.
8 NYCRR § 126.6(d)(1)(i) outlines specific qualifications for directors as follows:
- completion of an approved four-year high school program or the holding of a high school equivalency diploma; and
- at least five years of acceptable practical experience in one or more of the courses taught in the school,
- or five years of acceptable teaching experience in one or more of the courses taught in the school,
- or five years of acceptable administrative or supervisory experience,
- or a combination of such acceptable experience amounting to at least five years; or
- have received an appropriate baccalaureate or higher degree upon completion of an approved college program in the field of business administration, educational administration, or public administration.
- completion of an approved 15 clock-hour course offered by the department in private school administration before receiving a full director license.
- good moral character, as determined by the commissioner.
- possession of the administrative and educational competency to operate a school, as determined by the Commissioner.
Finally, the Commissioner is empowered to accept substantially equivalent education, training and/or experience in lieu of meeting the foregoing preparation requirements.
For the purpose of determining compliance with the New York State Education Law and the Commissioner’s regulations, BPSS acts as the appropriate State Education Department regulatory office to “recognize” the educational credentials for persons seeking to become directors of licensed private career schools in New York.
As proof of meeting the requirement for an appropriate baccalaureate or higher degree upon completion of an approved college program in the field of business administration, educational administration, or public administration, BPSS will accept an official transcript from a college or university (an official certified translation along with the official transcript for those in a language other than English) which demonstrates sufficient coursework in the areas required for licensure. The college or university must have the authority to issue diplomas and certificates of completion for their academic programs and be accredited by the appropriate accrediting body for its jurisdiction. This applies to both United States and foreign colleges and universities.
Questions or additional guidance should be directed to the BPSS Licensing Unit at BPSSDirectors@nysed.gov.