Protect Yourself From GED® Fraud
If you are considering taking the GED ® tests, please be aware of the following:
- Although there are online programs for GED ® preparation, there is NO online GED testing!
- The GED ® tests must be taken in person and may NEVER be taken at a location other than an official GED Testing Center™. Click on the following link for a list of approved official GED Testing Centers™ in New York State: www.acces.nysed.gov/ged/nys_map/counties_table
Please note that there is no fee to take the GED® tests in New York State.
- The New York State Education Department is the only organization that may issue New York State High School Equivalency diplomas. Although some GED ® preparation programs may issue “diplomas/certificates” of program completion, these documents ARE NOT genuine high school equivalency credentials.
- There are many legitimate fee-based online and classroom GED ® preparation programs. Before enrolling and spending money for these courses, it would be wise to take advantage of the many free State Education Department-approved programs. Click on the following link to see the locations of free GED® preparation programs in New York State: www.acces.nysed.gov/ged/nys_map/counties_tableprep
- Click here to obtain information on other free of charge GED ® preparation options. (Link under construction)
- For additional information on GED ® test fraud, please visit the GED Testing Service fraud website: www.gedtestingservice.com/testers/test-fraud
- If you feel you may be a victim of GED ® test or credential fraud, we encourage you to file a consumer complaint with the Office of Attorney General for New York State at: www.ag.ny.gov/consumerfrauds/Filing-a-Consumer-Complaint.