Eligibility Requirements for High School Equivalency Testing in New York State
The New York State Education Department requires all examinees to meet eligibility for HSE/TASC™ Testing in the following areas:
- Age Eligibility Requirements
- If you are 16 years of age on day of testing
- If you are 17 or 18 years of age on day of testing
- If you are 19 years or older on day of testing
All 16, 17 or 18 year olds must establish age eligibility each time they wish to test.
- NYS Residency Requirements
The HSE/TASC™ Tests can be administered to any person who has lived in New York State for at least thirty (30) days prior to the test date AND:
- Has not graduated from an accredited high school in the United States or its territories; AND
- Has not received a high school equivalency certificate or diploma in the United States or its territories; AND
- Is not currently enrolled in a regular high school program of instruction leading to a high school diploma; AND
- Has not previously earned scores on the HSE Tests sufficient to qualify for a high school equivalency diploma/certificate.
- Test Form Eligibility Requirements
Each year, Data Recognition Corporation (DRC) offers the English and Spanish TASC™ in (3) test forms. Examinees cannot retest on test forms which they have taken in that calendar year.
- Test Date Eligibility Requirements
HSE examinees must wait a minimum of sixty (60) days between test sessions when retesting, and examinees may not test more than three (3) times in a calendar year.