Application Instructions for New York State High School Equivalency Credit for Qualifying Regents Examination Scores
As of April 25, 2018, the New York State Education Department provides an additional pathway to earn a New York State high school equivalency diploma (HSE) by allowing eligible TASC™ examinees to use passing scores on certain Regents Examinations in place of corresponding TASC™ subtests.
R Application Overview
Individuals who wish to apply for the Regents-TASC™ Examination Pathway must follow these steps:
- Fill out the applicant portion only (Section A) of the R Application, attached. Applicants should make a copy for their own records.
- Mail or drop off the R Application to the school where you most recently took Regents Examinations. If all Regents Examinations that you passed are not listed on the transcript from your most recent school, you must provide additional transcripts.
- The school principal and/or superintendent will need to complete the remainder of the R Application (Sections B and C), sign and certify, attach required transcripts, and send to: NYSED, High School Equivalency (HSE) Office, 89 Washington Avenue, EBA 460, Albany, New York 12234-0348.
- The school/district is responsible for including the New York State Student Identification System identification number (NYSSIS ID) for each applicant. This is a unique statewide student identification number. The NYSSIS ID should be available in the school/district student management system. For more information on the NYSSIS ID, please visit: NYSSIS Overview.
- The school must also input the school’s state identification number, the BEDS Code. To find a BEDS Code, please visit the NYSED Reference File (SEDREF).
- Passing scores from Regents Examinations taken in high school may be substituted for a corresponding TASC™ subtest in accordance with 8 N.Y.C.R.R. §100.7.
- Any Regents Math, Science, or Social Studies Regents Examinations may be used in place of the corresponding TASC™ subtest. The Regents English Language Arts Exam may be used in place of BOTH the Reading and Writing TASC™ subtests.
- Four passing Regents scores cannot be used for credit towards all five TASC™ subtests; examinees must pass one single TASC™ subtest (of the examinee’s choice) in order to earn a New York State High School Equivalency Diploma.
- A NYS HSE Diploma will be issued once all five subtests (Reading, Writing, Math, Science and Social Studies) have been credited from any combination of accepted Regents Examinations, passing scores from TASC™ subtests and GED® 2002 series subtests. The GED® 2002 series includes English Language GED® subtests taken from 2002-2013. GED® subtests taken in Spanish or French are accepted from 2004-2013.
- If an Applicant is credited with all five subtests using a combination of GED® 2002 series and Regents Examination substitutions, the Applicant is required to take and pass at least one TASC™ subtest to earn a NYS HSE diploma.
- Passing GED scores prior to the GED® 2002 series cannot be used in place of TASC™ subtests.
To Acquire the R Application, Please Visit: R Application