An Economic Need Calculation can be completed outside of any case. This may be useful to "test out" scenarios or practice calculations, but the information cannot be saved.
On the Menu Bar:
Point: Economic Need Calculation
Economic Need Calculation window display
Enter information in the Main Tab fields:
- Counselor: This field is disabled when done outside of a case - the calculation is not associated with a case
- Effective date: Defaults to all zeros
- Authored by: Since the calculation is not associated with a case, this field is not mandatory
- Exempt (from economic need calculation): If checked, the rest of the form will be disabled (except for Reason for Exemption, below)
- Reason for Exemption: Enabled if Exempt, above, is chosen. From drop down list, click: SSDI, TANF, SNA, SSI, SSI/SSDI, TANF Non-Cash, SSI 1619b or SNA Non-Cash Benefits
- Number of Persons in the Family
- Number of Wage Earners in the Family
- One Time Service Calculation
- Current Spend Down Balance: Disabled - Not associated with a case
- Wage Earner Information
Click: Insert icon on Toolbar
- Type of wage earner (from drop down list)
- Name or other identifying information
- Income Source (from drop down list)
- Year (from drop down list: tax year from which information is gathered)
Total Available Resources
In the Main Tab, this field is disabled - No resources or assets have been entered. (In other Tabs, it is enabled: Click: Calculate Resources button to generate current available resources.)
Enter information in Income Tab fields for each wage earner identified in a vertical tab. Click each tab to enter information for that wage earner (based on source of information):
(For more information, see Income, Assets and Other Allowable Expenses)
- Federal 1040 Adjusted Gross Income Amount
- Federal 1040A Adjusted Gross Income Amount
- Federal 1040EZ Adjusted Gross Income Amount
- VR-311 - Enter:
- Wages, Salaries, Tips, etc.
- Taxable Interest Income
- Tax Exempt Interest Income
- Dividend Income
- Taxable Refund of State or Local Income Taxes
- Alimony Received
- Business Income (or loss)
- Capital Gaines (or loss)
- Rent, Royalties, Partnerships, etc.
- Farm Income (or loss)
- Unemployment Compensation
- Social Security Benefits
- Social Security Taxable Amount
- Other Income, including description
Total income is calculated as information is entered.
Enter information in Adjustments to Income Tab fields for each wage earner identified in a vertical tab using the VR-311 for documentation. Click each tab to enter information for that wage earner.
- Unreimbursed Business Expense
- Individual IRA Deduction
- Spouse's IRA Deduction
- Self Employed Health Insurance
- Keogh Retirement and Self Employment SEP
- Penalty for Early Withdrawal of Savings
- Alimony Paid
- Alimony Recipient
- Alimony Recipient SSN
Total Adjustments are calculated by the system as information is entered.
Adjusted Gross Income is calculated by the system.
Enter information in Assets Tab fields for each wage earner identified in a vertical tab. Click each tab to enter information for that wage earner.
(For more information, see Income, Assets and Other Allowable Expenses).
- Cash, Checking and Savings Accounts
- Stocks and Bonds
- Gifts and Inheritances
- Certificate of Deposit
- Lump Sum Settlement(s)
Total Assets are calculated by the system as information is entered.
If appropriate, enter information in Medical/Dental Tab fields for each wage earner identified in a vertical tab. Click each tab to enter information for that wage earner.
- Medical and Dental Expenses
- AGI*7.5 Percent (Calculated by the system based on Adjusted Gross Income)
- Allowable Medical Expenses (Calculated by the system)
Unusual Expenses Tab
If appropriate, enter information in the Unusual Expenses Tab fields. The amount(s) entered are for the family:
- Court Ordered Obligations
- Post Secondary Education
- Non-Discretionary Expenses
(Medical/Dental Expenses are brought forward from the Medical/Dental Expenses Tab, if appropriate. This field is disabled on this tab.)
Upward Adjustments Tab
Enter amounts in the Upward Adjustments Tab fields if the Total Available Resources are greater than 0. Vertical tabs should be clicked to enter information depending on whether it relates to Housing or Transportation. There is also a tab for Adjustments, which illustrates the Upward Adjustment calculation.
For both housing and transportation, a drop down list identifies the period of time for which you are entering the information. CaMS will automatically multiply the amount entered with the time option chosen. Time options include: Weekly; Bi-weekly; Monthly; Bi-monthly; Quarterly; Semi-annually and yearly.
Housing Vertical Tab
- 2nd Mortgage
- Property Taxes
- Home Equity Loans
Total Housing Expenditures is calculated by the system.
Transportation Vertical Tab
- Miles to/from destination
- Parking for Work
- Tools to/from Work
- Public/Special Transportation to/from Work
Total Transportation Expenditures is calculated by the system.
Adjustments Vertical Tab
Illustrates the Upward Adjustments calculations.
Total Resources Tab
The Total Resources Tab illustrates the calculation of Total Available Resources.
The Tables Tab is available for reference purposes. It contains the Family Living Requirements; Allowances; and Asset Exclusion values that are used in the Economic Need Calculation.
To access tables:
Click: Appropriate vertical tab.
Calculating Total Available Resources
Total Available Resources can be calculated at any time in the process:
Click: Calculate Resources
(When Total Available Resources = 0, there is no requirement to add additional information.)
A Calculator is available in fields where simple addition is required - up to ten numbers may be added. For instance, the Medical/Dental Tab does not automatically add all costs for you - it only provides a field to fill in the total cost. In this case, a simple calculator may be helpful. To access the calculator:
Right Click: Field you wish to calculate
Calculator will appear
Enter: First amount
Enter: Second amount
Continue until all entries are made
The calculated total will be entered into the CaMS field.
Printing the Economic Need Tables
To print the current Economic Need tables for reference purposes:
On the Menu Bar:
Point: Economic Need Calculation
Click: Print Tables
The ‘Print Economic Need Tables’ appears, allowing the user to enter the number of copies desired. Enter the number of copies and click OK to print.