Application R: Instructions for Applying to Use Regents Credit Earned from Passing Scores on Qualifying Regents Examinations Toward the New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma

Background Information

On April 25, 2018, the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department adopted an additional pathway toward a New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma by allowing eligible HSE test takers to use passing scores on certain Regents Examinations in place of corresponding HSE exam subject tests.


  • Passing scores from Regents Examinations taken in high school may be substituted for corresponding HSE exam subject tests. New York State high schools may submit transcripts for students with previously earned Regent’s credit, through the Application R process, under provision 8 N.Y.C.R.R. §100.7 adopted by the Board of Regents on April 25, 2018.
  • Any Regents Math, Science, or Social Studies Regents Examinations may be used in place of the corresponding HSE exam subject test. Regents English Language Arts Exam credits may be used in place of the GED Reasoning Through Language Arts subject test. 
  • All applicants must take and pass at least one GED subject test to earn a NYS HSE diploma. One subject test must be taken and passed even if the applicant had Regents credit in all required subject areas. The applicant may select which subject test to take.


  1. Fill out Section A of the Application R, which is available here: Application R (Application R - Fill In)
  2. If you are in a preparation program, ask your instructor to assist you in completing Section B as well.
  3. Mail or drop off the Application R to the high school you most recently attended in New York State*.
  4. Applicants should keep of copy of the application sent to the high school, for their own records.
  5. The high school will need to 1) complete the remainder of Application R; 2) sign and certify; 3) attach required transcripts which demonstrate Regents credits; and 4) mail to the HSE Office or submit digitally.

Information on the process that school districts should follow to submit completed Application R forms.

*If the high school attended has closed, please contact the school district’s central office. In New York City, contact the NYC Department of Education, or visit the NYC Department of Education website.