Information for Entities Seeking Approval to Become a NYS High School Equivalency (HSE) Exam Test Center
Entities seeking approval to become a New York State Education Department (NYSED) High School Equivalency (HSE) Test Center must meet the criteria, as described below.
- Entity must be incorporated as a not-for-profit organization with an educational purpose (and a Board of Directors and Bylaws) or a governmental agency providing educational services as part of their mission.
- Operate in a region of the state where there is a need for an HSE Exam Test Center in the local vicinity and the test center is capable of offering computer based testing (CBT).
- Be financially solvent with adequate fiscal resources to operate an HSE Test Center. Test Centers are only eligible for test administration reimbursement if they apply for and receive funding through a Request for Proposal (RFP) process. The RFP is issued by the NYSED approximately every five years. The RFP for 2023 and beyond is currently being developed.
- Have adequate staff resources to effectively administer the HSE Exam, including: 1) a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) who has organization-level oversight and will assume overall responsibility for the Test Center; 2) Test Center Coordinator of Record who will be the official program contact and be responsible for test administration; and 3) Test Center Examiners (number dependent on the quantity of exams to be administered). Staff who will administer the HSE Exam may not be directly involved, in any manner, with an adult education preparation program that prepares examinees to take the Exam.
- The Coordinator of Record and, Examiners Staff must meet educational requirements and participate in required training by both NYSED and the GED Testing Service (GEDTS) prior to test administration.
- GEDTS also requires a virtual physical facility inspection and inspection/approval of technical requirements prior to being approved to offer CBT testing through Pearson VUE, which is the CBT provider of the GED® Test. Please visit the GED Homepage for additional information.
For additional information please contact the High School Equivalency (HSE) Office at HSETC@nsyed.gov. Please indicate in the email subject line that you are seeking to become an HSE Exam Test Center. Thank you.