College Credit and Out-of-State Testing
The New York State High School Equivalency Diploma Based on Earned College Credit may be awarded to candidates who have completed 24 credits (or its equivalent) as a recognized candidate for a degree or a certificate at an approved institution. (Refer to J Application)
- The NYSED Adult Education High School Equivalency Office does not recognize, nor evaluate, secondary or post-secondary transcripts from countries outside of the United States.
- The NYSED Adult Education High School Equivalency Office does not recognize, nor evaluate, transcript evaluations of foreign secondary or post-secondary credits.
- In New York State all applicants must have reached “maximum compulsory school attendance age” to be awarded the HSE diploma based on college credit. Applicants reach “maximum compulsory school attendance age” when the school year in which they turn sixteen (16) years of age has ended (June 30). In New York City, and in some other public school districts throughout the State, applicants reach “maximum compulsory school attendance age” when the school year in which they turn seventeen (17) years of age has ended (June 30).
Important Note: Do not send cash. Only money orders or certified checks payable to the "New York State Education Department" will be accepted.
To have your credits reviewed:
- Complete J Application for College Credit
- Enclose a certified check or money order for $10.00
- Enclose official college transcripts from all institutions of higher education
- Send to:
THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
89 Washington Avenue, EBA 460
Albany, New York 12234
The New York State High School Equivalency diploma may also be awarded to eligible candidates who meet New York State requirements and submit an official GED ® (2002-2013 Series) or TASC™ ( 2014-present) Score Report for GED/TASC™ subtests taken outside of New York State. Out-of-State scores will then be added to a New York State record, and candidates will receive an updated official New York State High School Equivalency Score Report to include their Out-of-State and New York State test scores. The New York State High School Equivalency diploma will be awarded to eligible candidates who meet all requirements. Please note if you already hold a high school or high school equivalency diploma from another state, then you are not eligible for the New York State High School Equivalency diploma.
Important Note: There is a $10.00 non-refundable processing fee. Please do not send cash. Only money orders or certified checks payable to the New York State Education Department will be accepted.
To obtain an official copy of your updated New York State Score Report for High School Equivalency:
One in twenty college freshman holds a high school credential earned by taking and passing the HSE Tests.