The National External Diploma Program: The Third Pathway to a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma
On May 17, 2016, the New York State Board of Regents approved an amendment to Commissioner's Regulation (CR) 100.7 that adds the National External Diploma Program (NEDP) as a third pathway to a New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma and lowers from age 21 to age 18, the age at which a candidate is eligible to take the NEDP. Beginning September 1, 2016, Boards of Education will no longer award the local HSE diploma under CR 100.8 as all HSE diplomas will now be awarded by the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
The NEDP, administrated through Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS) is a complete assessment program that allows adults to demonstrate transferable skills for which a New York State HSE diploma may be awarded. NEDP, aligned to the College and Career Readiness Standards, is a competency-based, applied performance assessment system that expects adults to demonstrate their ability in a series of simulations that parallel job and life situations. Participants demonstrate mastery of ten content areas by completing multiple performance tasks, validating knowledge and technology skills. Advisors and Assessors work with students to help direct them toward the instruction needed to demonstrate mastery of competencies required through existing community resources. In addition, each student must fulfill an individual competency.
As with all Distance Learning programs, NEDP candidates should be ready to take upon the self-direction of learning with enthusiasm and dedication. CASAS sets a minimal entry requirement of performing at ASE Low instructional level. Scale score levels on CASAS assessment should be 230 in math and 236 in reading.
Related Information and Resources:
- Tool Kit for New York State National External Diploma Program (NEDP)
- For procedural manual refer to: The Program Manager and Instructor Guide for Distance Learning.
- For the calculations for the distance learning formula refer to: Employment Preparation Education manual
- The National External Diploma Program (NEDP)
- Attachment N: Application for the New York State High School Equivalency Program based on the NEDP and Directions
- Letter to Superintendents
- Letter to New York State Approved Agencies and Participating Schools
- Questions and Answers: Guidance for Approved Agencies and more
- If you have additional questions regarding NEDP, please contact us via email.
Memo to the Field
NEDP Memo-EPE Changes