Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation Services
Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) provides services to individuals who have a disability, or disabilities, that interfere with getting, keeping, or advancing in a job.
To apply or be referred for ACCES-VR services you must be:
- A person with a disability or disabilities that impact your ability to get, keep or advance in a job
- Currently present in New York State
- Available to participate in the vocational rehabilitation process
- At least 14 years old
- Able to work in the United States
- Note: If you are not a United States Citizen, you must provide proof from the United States Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services that you are allowed to work in the United States.
ACCES-VR has 15 District Offices and 10 Satellite Offices located across New York State. ACCES-VR’s administration office is located at the New York State Education Department in Albany, NY.
- ACCES-VR Orientation Sessions
- Applying for ACCES-VR Services and Documentation Needed for Eligibility
- Eligibility Process
- What else can I do to get started?
ACCES-VR Orientation Sessions
Completing an Orientation session is not required but offers the best way to learn about ACCES-VR services and the vocational rehabilitation process. ACCES-VR has three (3) Orientation recordings to help you decide if ACCES-VR services may be right for you:
- Overview of ACCES-VR Services: Your Journey to Employment Begins Today
- How to Apply For ACCES-VR Services
- Do You Want A Job That Requires A College Degree?
Applying for ACCES-VR Services and Documentation Needed for Eligibility
Application for Services VR-04
Below are links to the ACCES-VR application for services in six (6) languages:
Please complete the ACCES-VR Application for Services available above as a fillable PDF or by contacting your local ACCES-VR District Office for a paper version of the application.
- When completing the ACCES-VR Application for Services, please complete as fully as possible. You must minimally provide:
- Your Name
- Date of Birth
- Your Disability(ies)
- Your signature and date on the application. Only signed applications will be accepted.
- Note: For individuals under the age of 18, or for individuals with legal guardians, the Application for Services must also include the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
Documentation Needed for Eligibility Determination
- Documentation from your doctor, treatment program, or school about your disability. This information is used to determine the degree your disability interferes with your ability to get, keep, or advance in a job. If you do not have documentation, ACCES-VR may be able to help obtain this information with your written consent.
- Note: If this application is a referral, the referring agency, school, or doctor should provide you with information about your disability, functional limitations, and how this information relates to your employment needs.
- Consent Forms: ACCES-VR will need permission from you to be able to obtain information about your disability for eligibility determination and for the vocational rehabilitation process. Please complete the consent form that applies to you:
- VR-21 (for general health impairments), and/or
- VR-22 (substance use disorders or mental health conditions)
For individuals under the age of 18, or for individuals with legal guardians, the Consent Form must also include the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
Note: Any referral to ACCES-VR must include your signed consent, in addition to a signed application, to verify that you agree to a referral to ACCES-VR.
- Confidential Health Assessment: Please complete, to the best of your ability, information about how your disability impacts you.
- VR-26 - Confidential Health Assessment
Requesting personal information about you carries with it the obligation for ACCES-VR to fully inform you about what personal information is gathered, how it will be used, and to safeguard against sharing it unnecessarily or inappropriately. ACCES-VR’s Confidentiality Policy outlines its responsibilities and the policy can be found at 102.00 Confidentiality Policy.
Submitting Your Application
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Save, scan or take a picture of the ACCES-VR application and any other documents or forms that you are sending for ACCES-VR eligibility determination
- In Email’s Subject Line: Write your full name and “ACCES-VR Application”
- Make sure your application has your phone number and email
- Verify all documents/pictures are attached to the email before sending
- Mail: To the address of your Local District Office
- District Office Locations may be found at the District Office Locations webpage
- Have a disability that interferes with getting, keeping, or advancing in a job, and
- Be able to benefit from vocational rehabilitation services
What else can I do to get started?
Career Exploration - At the Career Zone site you can assess your own interests and begin to explore careers that are related to your strengths, skills, interests and abilities.
Create a Resume - At Job Zone you can find employment resources and begin to create your resume.