Documentation of Entrance Requirements

Date Issued: 

Section 126.1(g) of the Commissioner's Regulations defines Documentation of Entrance Requirements as "a copy of a student's high school diploma or transcript, GED®, original ability to benefit examination answer sheet indicating a passing score, or appropriate student certifications as specified by the approved curriculum or other approved documentation as determined by the commissioner, including but not limited to a college degree."

In an effort to provide on-going assistance and uniform application of "other documentation as determined by the commissioner," listed below is currently acceptable entrance requirement documentation for programs restricting enrollment to individuals who have completed high school or its equivalent. Other materials may also meet this standard in unique or unusual circumstances if approved by the school's BPSS Associate on a case-by-case basis. Of course, documentation containing alterations, changes, or inconsistencies is never acceptable.

The list of acceptable documentation is for purposes of satisfying Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision (BPSS) entrance requirement only. This listing is not intended to supercede requirements set forth by federal agencies, accrediting commissions, or other funding and supervisory bodies.

Acceptable documentation for programs requiring high school diploma or GED® as an entrance requirement:

  • Copy of high school diploma.
  • Official high school transcript showing graduation date.
  • Copy of High School Equivalency Diploma or GED
  • Copy of associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctorate degree from a regionally accredited college or university or official transcript indicating the same.
  • Students completing high school or a college degree in a foreign country, where a language other than English is the official language, and who are able to produce a copy of their transcript and/or diploma need to have it translated into English by either an education evaluation service, which offers translation services, or by an individual who is college educated (if not an employee of an education evaluation service), and fluent in both English and the language of the transcript and/or diploma. The individual providing the translation must sign a notarized affidavit that: 1) attests to their not being an employee or otherwise affiliated with the licensed private career school that the student seeks to attend; 2) provides the name, address, email and phone number of the translator and the student; 3) the translator is knowledgeable of the English language and the language of the student’s transcript and diploma.  The translator states how the English language, and language of the foreign transcript and/or diploma, was learned and where the translator obtained his or her college degree; and 4) affirms that the translation is a true and complete translation of the original.
  • For students completing high school in a foreign country, who are unable to produce a copy of their diploma, form BPSS-115 completed in English and the student's native language.  Students using BPSS-115 form may have to take a test approved by the Commissioner in order to validate their claim of a foreign diploma and ensure their ability to benefit from the instruction.
  • Copy of a fully completed Department of Defense form DD-214 indicating that the applicant completed high school prior to or during his/her armed forces service.
  • Official college transcript indicating the basis of the applicant's admission into the college program as being high school graduation.

Because on-line high schools are becoming more abundant and because no standards have been established on a national level nor are there any accrediting agencies federally approved to certify on-line high schools, graduation from an on-line high school is NOT considered documentation for entrance into a program requiring high school graduation or a GED. For schools that are approved to offer ability to benefit testing, an alternative would be to have the prospective student take and pass the school's approved ability to benefit test.

A Skills and Achievement Commencement Credential for Students with Severe Disabilities is replacing the Individual Education Program (IEP) diploma, effective July 1, 2013. Neither the (former) IEP diploma nor the Skills and Achievement Commencement Credential are acceptable for entrance into a program requiring high school graduation or a GED. For more information about the Skills and Achievement Commencement Credential for Students with Severe Disabilities, please see