High School Diploma for Veterans

Operation Recognition

Operation Recognition allows eligible veterans to earn high school diplomas if they left school without graduating.  Section 305 of the NYS Education Law created Operation Recognition to recognize the dedication and sacrifice of veterans who left school before graduation by awarding them a high school diploma.

Who is Eligible?

To be eligible, an applicant:

  • Must have been a member of the US Armed Forces, and engaged in qualified service
  • Is a resident of New York State and received a satisfactory discharge

What documentation is required to prove eligibility?

  • DD214 (copy of a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) OR
  • A Certificate of Service OR
  • A letter from a recognized veterans agency affirming such service

How do you apply for a diploma?

  • Interested veterans should bring their honorable discharge certificate or letter to any New York State School that issues general or local diplomas.  New York City veterans should contact the New York State Education Department at adulted@nysed.gov  for assistance.  There is no fee for this service.
  • Candidates do not need to show evidence of attendance at a school in New York State.  They only need to affirm in writing that they do not possess a high school diploma.
  • Candidates possessing a high school equivalency diploma are also eligible.

For Additional Information Contact:

The NYS Education Department (518) 474-8940 or email: adulted@nysed.gov.