Instructions for Completing an Application for Approval - Quarters
The "Application for Approval - Quarters," BPSS-6, and required supporting documentation must be submitted in the following instances:
- when an existing school moves;
- when existing school quarters are renovated, expanded or reduced;
- when adding a new type of curriculum to the existing programs offered at a school (i.e., adding health curricula to a previous non-health trade school) and;
- when the ownership of a school is being transferred.
A school must have written quarters approval from the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision prior to offering any instruction. Failure to do so is a violation of Education Law and the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education and may result in disciplinary action.
The "Application for Approval - Quarters," BPSS-6, must be completed in full and sent with the documentation listed below.
I. Basic Application Information, BPSS-6
This is the approved name listed on your license or, in the case of a new school, the approved name your school will be using.
This is the current address of the school. In the case of a new school, this may be the mailing address for the initial contact person.
Location of these Quarters
This is the address where the school will operate once approval is granted.
List the floor(s) on which the school will operate.
Room Number (from floor plan)
Number all of the rooms, which your school will occupy, on the floor plan. Then list those same numbers in the left column.
Proposed Use of Room
List how you will use each particular room listed in the left hand column (i.e., reception area, student lounge, theory classroom, clinic, library, etc.)
Floor Space in Square Feet
List the square footage of each numbered room.
Approval requested by
Enter your name on this line.
List your title (i.e., director, president, owner, etc.)
List the date when the completed application is sent to the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision.
II. Supporting Documentation Required
Floor plans must be drawn to scale and the scale must be indicated on the drawing. Each room must be assigned a number and the proposed use of the room must be indicated, for example, "classroom", "shop" "computer lab," etc. The floor plans must show:
- Dimensions of each room or unit of space;
- Entrances and exits, stairways, corridors, fire escapes;
- Student stations, fixed equipment and machines, furniture including student desks and chairs;
- Utilities - electrical outlets, sinks, etc.
Certificate of Occupancy
A Certificate of Occupancy is issued by local municipalities to verify that local building codes have been met and the building is suitable for occupancy. It further states the purpose for which the quarters are to be used (i.e., commercial, residential, factory, school, etc.).
The premises, in which instruction will be offered, must be approved for use as a school by the municipality in which the school will be conducting business. Once the premises are approved, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued listing the school quarters as approved for instructional purposes. Only that area used for the school needs to be approved for instructional purposes. Therefore, Certificates of Occupancy for multi-floor buildings often will list only the floor that the school occupies as approved for instructional purposes. This is acceptable.
Department of Health Approval*
The premises in which instruction will be offered must be approved for occupancy by the health authority of the municipality in which the school will operate. The address listed on the approval must be the same address as the one listed on the Application for Approval - Quarters (BPSS-6). Schools outside New York City must arrange with their local Department of Health for the inspection and forward the letter of approval with the Application for Approval - Quarters (BPSS-6).
The premises in which instruction will be offered must be approved for occupancy by the fire authority of the municipality in which the school will operate. The address listed on the approval must be the same address as the one listed on the Application for Approval - Quarters (BPSS-6). Schools outside New York City must arrange with their local Department of Health for the inspection and forward the letter of approval with the Application for Approval - Quarters (BPSS-6).
* If the school is or will be located in one of the boroughs of New York City, the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision will arrange for the fire inspection once the Application for Approval - Quarters (BPSS-6), the floor plans, and the Certificate of Occupancy are received. No separate on-site health inspection is necessary unless the school has a cafeteria or provides instruction in food service or food preparation.
NOTE: the above is to be uploaded to the BPSS Web-Based System by the school to their Quarters queue (tab). If this is the first time uploading Quarters documents, do the following:
- login to the BPSS Web-Based System
- click “View School Documents”
- click the green “+Add files…” button
- select file from your computer to be uploaded
- under “Category” select Quarters
- under “Description” select the appropriate document description
- click the blue “Start” button