Application Instructions for New York State High School Equivalency Credit for Qualifying Regents Examination Scores
As of April 25, 2018, the New York State Education Department provides an additional pathway to earn a New York State high school equivalency diploma (HSE) by allowing eligible HSE test takers to use passing scores on certain Regents Examinations in place of corresponding HSE exam subtests.
Application R Overview
Individuals who wish to apply for the Regents-TASC™ Examination Pathway must follow these steps:
- Fill out the applicant portion only (Section A) of the Application R, attached. Applicants should make a copy for their own records.
- Mail or drop off the Application R to the school where you most recently took Regents Examinations. If all Regents Examinations that you passed are not listed on the transcript from your most recent school, you must provide additional transcripts.
- The school principal and/or superintendent will need to complete the remainder of the Application R (Sections B and C), sign and certify, attach required transcripts, and send to: NYSED, High School Equivalency (HSE) Office, 89 Washington Avenue, EBA 460, Albany, New York 12234-0348.
- The school/district is responsible for including the New York State Student Identification System identification number (NYSSIS ID) for each applicant. This is a unique statewide student identification number. The NYSSIS ID should be available in the school/district student management system. For more information on the NYSSIS ID, please visit: NYSSIS Overview.
- The school must also input the school’s state identification number, the BEDS Code. To find a BEDS Code, please visit the NYSED Reference File (SEDREF).
- Passing scores from Regents Examinations taken in high school may be substituted for a corresponding HSE exam subtest taken after April 25, 2018, in accordance with 8 N.Y.C.R.R. §100.7.
- Any Regents Math, Science, or Social Studies Regents Examinations may be used in place of the corresponding HSE exam subject test. Regents English Language Arts Exam credits may be used in place of the Reasoning Through Language Arts subject test.
- Even is an Applicant may be issued credit in all five content areas because of passing scores or Regents Examination substitutions, the Applicant is still required to take and pass at least one HSE exam subtest to earn a NYS HSE diploma.