Individuals are appointed to the Council by the New York State Board of Regents. Potential nominees are identified by soliciting recommendations statewide from organizations and individuals representing a broad range of people with disabilities. Members should be knowledgeable about services that ensure access to employment for individuals with disabilities. Also, the majority of members should be individuals with disabilities and represent a diverse population.
Specifically the Council must include:
- at least one representative of the Statewide Independent Living Council;
- at least one representative of a parent training and information center;
- at least one representative of the Client Assistance Program;
- at least one vocational rehabilitation counselor;
- at least one representative of community rehabilitation program services providers;
- four representatives of business, industry, and labor;
- representatives of disability advocacy groups representing a cross-section of individuals with physical, cognitive, sensory, and mental disabilities; and representatives of individuals with disabilities who have difficulty representing themselves or are unable due to their disabilities to represent themselves;
- current or former applicants for, or recipients of, vocational rehabilitation services;
- at least one representative of the directors of projects providing services to American Indians under Section 121 of the Rehabilitation Act;
- at least one representative of the State Education Department (agency serving students with disabilities); and
- at least one representative of the State Workforce Investment Board.
State Rehabilitation Council
The Council provides advice and support to The State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) on behalf of people with disabilities and their families regarding the delivery of effective rehabilitation services that leads to employment for New Yorker's with disabilities.
Next Meeting Date
December 6-7, 2022
Hilton Garden Inn, Albany Medical Center
62 New Scotland Ave.
Albany, NY 12208
For confirmation of meeting dates or any additional information, contact (518) 486-7490.
Please note: Interpreters are provided only upon request. To request an interpreter or other accommodations, contact ACCES-VR as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org but no latter than 10 days prior to the meeting date.
Agenda for upcoming meeting